Friday 3 December 2021

Lessons from Nature: Exposure

 

            Nature never fails to impress us. When I say nature I don’t only refer only to hills and valleys, rivers and seas but also the simple plants and animals growing abound us. I love creative gardening and planting, crotons are my all-time favorite and I have many reasons for this.  Croton is an evergreen plant, it doesn’t need much maintenance and has glossy leaves that come in varied attractive shapes, sizes and colour. The plant is hardy and can withstand difficult weather conditions. It can be easily propagated from stem cutting. The plant also serves as a strong fencing plant protecting delicate plants from direct wind and small pets. Crotons do not have flowers like other plants but will surely catch your attention because of their brightly coloured leaves. The leaf of a croton may occur solid but may also have combination of green, yellow, red, orange, pink, purple or brown.


            So the question here is, What can we learn from this plant? Ever since I have known about plants I have seen crotons growing in my vicinity. Recently while I was watching the crotons growing in the garden I saw a notable variance between a few crotons grown from the stems of the same mother plant. I got curious, I wanted to know why are some plants brighter and more attractive than the others. There were crotons which had bright, fresh, glossy yellowish leaves with reddish-orange veins. While there were others a little further which looked fresh and healthy but were green and pale yellow. After a little study and inquiring I realized that the secret of the brightly colured leaves was the exposure to the sun.

            In our lives too we get many opportunities to shine brightly, but only when we expose ourselves to new prospects and chances will we shine brightly. The more we burn in the heat and light of the day, the brighter and more vibrant will we become. We may survive and have a healthy life but we will not be able to make a difference or shine brightly if we don’t make the best out of the opportunities that come our way.

Moral: Expose yourself to new things and that will change your life and make it vibrant, bright and joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons from Nature: Essence

'You are the Salt of the Earth', Jesus says this in the gospel according to Mathew 5:13 (Bible). This statement set me thinking. M...