Monday 1 March 2021

Lessons from Nature: Preparation


One of my favorite pass time is roaming around in the garden looking for something spectacular like, brightly coloured bees, freakish leaf shapes, a bizarre looking new shoot, some crawling beings, rugged trees with unique bark patterns and anything that surprises me. I was often disgusted when I saw a poinsettia plant; it looked so ordinary and wild. I was sickened at the point of cutting it off and planting something more attractive. 
Well, today was different and pleasantly shocking. The plant which I hated the most has become the apple of my eye. It was bright and Christmassy red and green. All this while I thought that the plant was fake or rather wild, useless and ugly, but what I witnessed today made me question my own life. I often want immediate success, but do I work and prepare enough? I want praise and glory, is my work worth it? Sometimes we invest just 10% into something and expect 100%. Are our expectations reasonable? 
I didn’t know much about this plant, I Googled and I got what I was looking for. These plants flower in mid-winter and last for quite some time. Like me many owners or gardeners of these plants are unhappy because, one has to practically wait for a year to see the flowers. The poinsettia is also known a short-day plant. This is because it needs total darkness for about 14 hours every day, for weeks to form flower buds. After the flowering is over the plant remains dormant during the spring. It need not be watered much and has to be in a dry, cool place. 
In this fast changing world of ours we want everything instantly, instant coffee, two minutes noodles, fast food, ready to eat parathas, etc.  This poinsettia has thought me that for something great and lasting the preparation too must be equivalent to the result expected. The flowers were so good that I don’t mind waiting for another year to just witness this divine beauty again. We need to prepare in order to make a lasting impact. 
Moral: the more you prepare, better the outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons from Nature: Essence

'You are the Salt of the Earth', Jesus says this in the gospel according to Mathew 5:13 (Bible). This statement set me thinking. M...